Have you ever thought about getting verified on Instagram?
No, we’re not talking about posting your best selfie for validation. That’s different. Although there’s no shame in that, either.
We’re talking about the little blue badge with a check mark that you might have noticed on certain profiles. The little blue badge that means you’re special, right? You know what we’re talking about.
Everyone wants a seal of approval. That little extra something that sets you apart from the rest. Prior to 2018, it was solely up to Instagram to determine who the special elite were that deserved the official blue badge of verification. As you can guess, it was mainly reserved for major celebrities and brands.
However, Instagram recently changed its policy on getting verified, and now you can actually request it! Even if you’re not a mega-star, if you have a solid Instagram account that people are searching for you can make it happen. We’ll walk you through the steps of how you can request a verified badged from Instagram.
Steps To Get Verified On Instagram In 2019
- Go to your account settings by tapping the 3 line menu icon in the top right of your profile and select ‘settings’ at the bottom.
2. Tap on “Account”.
3. Scroll down to the bottom and select “Request Verification”.
4. Next, you will be asked to submit the following:
- Instagram Username – this will be the account you’re currently logged into and want to have verified
- Your Full Name – submit your full name as seen on your legal identification. If this is for a business you want to enter the name of the main person who manages the IG account.
- Known As – either the name you’re known by or the company name, if for a business.
- Account Category – select the closest match
- A picture of valid photo identification – this can be a passport, driver’s license, etc. If this is for a business account, you can provide official business documents such as tax papers, recent utility bills, etc.
5. Lastly, simply press ‘send’, and wait. Instagram doesn’t clearly outline exactly how long the wait will be. It could be anywhere from hours to weeks, so try to be patient!
Tips For Instagram Verification Success
Since Instagram users can now request a verified badge, Instagram has been so kind as to be transparent about their requirements for Instagram verification. From their help center page:
- Authentic: Your account must represent a real person, registered business or entity.
- Unique: Your account must be the unique presence of the person or business it represents. Only one account per person or business may be verified, with exceptions for language-specific accounts.
- Complete: Your account must be public and have a bio, profile photo, and at least one post. Your profile can’t contain “add me” links to other social media services.
- Notable: Your account must represent a well-know, highly searched for person, brand, or entity.
Instagram has not specified a certain number of followers in order to get verified, so that item is more open for interpretation based on how the above criteria is met.
Keep in mind that even if you do feel like you meet the above criteria, it isn’t a guarantee that you’ll receive the magic blue badge. And if you sadly do get denied, Instagram doesn’t provide specific reasons for why. Bummer!
But the good news is that you can submit a new request every 30 days, so don’t give up!
Why You Want To Get Verified On Instagram
There’s several reasons why someone would want to receive the official badge of Instagram verification.
- It sets you apart from copycats and imposters. When Instagram users see that little blue badge, they know that you’re the real deal in a sea of fakes. Often when a person or brand starts to amass a large following, copycat and fan accounts pop up in response. The verification badge lets people searching for you know that you’re the one to follow.
- You prove that you’re worth following. Generally, if you qualify for Instagram verification, it means that there is some buzz about you out there. Often you’ve appeared in several independent news sources, or you or your brand are interesting enough that people want to imitate you. Having the verification badge is often an indication that you’re a publicly-known individual or organization, and someone worth following.
- It boosts your Instagram SEO: Being Instagram verified means that your account will be one of the first to pop up in search results when someone searches for a term related to your account name. Verified accounts always rank about non-verified accounts for the same Instagram search. It’s science.
Some Things To Keep In Mind When Requesting Instagram Verification
- Instagram does not have a set time frame for approving or denying a request. It can take anywhere from hours, to days, to weeks, depending on whatever is going on at Instagram headquarters and the amount of requests received. When they do make a decision you’ll see it in your notifications, so keep an eye on those to get the information.
- There’s no way to submit news articles you’ve been featured in. While that information is helpful for getting verified, Instagram will do its own research rather than rely on your submitted resources. If the articles you’ve been featured in can be found on Google, they’ll find them. It’s particularly helpful if you or your business name is featured in the title of any publications.
- Instagram will never solicit you to apply for verification! In this day and age, there’s a scam related to practically everything, including Instagram verification. If you happen to receive an email from Instagram inviting you to get verified by clicking a link, DON’T FALL FOR IT! It is a phishing scam that will lead to getting your account hacked.
- Similarly, a third party cannot get you verified for a fee. It’s just another scam. Anyone asking you for money and guaranteeing that you’ll be verified is pulling a fast one on you. At the end of the day, the only way to be verified on Instagram is through the official application process outlined above.
If getting verified on Instagram is important to you, focus on producing quality and straight-forward content that people want to see. While anyone can apply to be Instagram verified, it helps to have a great account with no funny business going on. Unfortunately we can’t guarantee that you’ll be approved, but following the steps and criteria listed above will give you an excellent chance! And if things don’t work out in your favor the first time, try, try again! You can resubmit your application every 30 days.
Best of luck, and happy Instagramming!