You’ve probably clicked on this post because you have archived some Instagram posts and now want to bring them back onto your page! We’ll show you just how easy it is to unarchive Instagram posts.
What Is The Instagram Archive?
In case you didn’t know, you can archive Instagram posts instead of permanently deleting them. When you archive an Instagram post, they disappear from your page and go to a separate private tab on your Instagram account.
This is a great tool because you can still see all your Instagram memories even though nobody else can.
Perhaps you have photos with an ex that you don’t want to still be on your page but you’re not quite ready to delete them forever yet.
You can visit your archive whenever you want to check up on old photos. This includes for both feed posts and Instagram stories!
Thankfully, the archive is super easy to manage. You can unarchive posts whenever you want.
If you aren’t sure how to archive your posts in the first place, read here to learn how to.
You can access your Instagram archive easily.
- Visit your Instagram profile.
- Click the three lines in the top right-hand corner.
- Click Archive.
- You’ll be able to view your stories or posts.
If you’re anything like me, you can easily spend an hour browsing through your old memories! It’s really great that Instagram stores all your posts so securely. Of course, always make sure to back up your favorite photos just in case anything ever happens to your account. For example, if you get hacked and don’t have any backups, it will be sad that you’ll lose all of your posts.
How To Unarchive Instagram Posts
Now that you’ve located your archive, it’s time to learn how to bring them back to your profile.
Perhaps you and an ex got back together, and you want to bring back the lovely photos of you two. Maybe you have fallen back in love with that selfie you weren’t sure about.
Or maybe you archived all of your Instagram posts to start fresh on your page, but now you’ve decided your page looked better with all of your memories. After all, they sure show your personality! At the end of the day, if you change your mind, you can just archive them again.
When you’re ready to unarchive your Instagram posts, follow these steps:
- Open the Instagram app.
- Go to your profile.
- Click the three lines at the top right corner.
- Click archive.
- Go to posts.
- Click the photo you want to unarchive.
- Click “Unarchive”.
- It will now appear on your profile again.
The good thing about this is that all of your likes, tags and comments will return, too. The post does not need to begin again to get likes. They are all archived with the photo! So if you were worried about looking like none of your archived posts ever got any attention, don’t be! However, the posts will not return to your main feed. So it probably won’t get any new attention unless people go straight to your profile.
Of course, you can always call attention to the post by letting your followers know that you unarchived the photo by posting about it in your stories. Simply screenshot the photo, or click the airplane icon on the post, to share straight to your stories. Write something like, “Hey guys, guess who’s back?! Go give this post some love after it’s been living in the archives for a while.”
Adding a call to action in your stories is always a good idea to generate hype on Instagram.
Now that your post is unarchived and welcomed back into the world, do this with the rest of your archived posts if you want. Or simply save these tips for any future posts you will want to unarchive.
Delete Archived Instagram Posts
On the other hand, you might want to clear out your archive without bringing the photos back to your profile. Thankfully, you can delete photos straight from the archive instead of unarchiving Instagram posts first. You don’t need to bring them back to your profile first to then delete them. If there are photos of you and an ex that you never want anyone to see ever again, then this is the perfect solution.
Follow these steps:
- Open Instagram.
- Go to your profile.
- Click the three lines in the top right corner.
- Click archive.
- Go to your posts.
- Click the photo you want to delete.
- Click “Delete” instead of “Show on profile”.
- Confirm you want to delete the photo.
It is now gone forever unless you have a backup of the photo somewhere. If you’re not sure, then definitely don’t delete it. Just keep it in your archives until you know what you want to do. Or just leave it in your archives forever! No one needs to know.
Unarchive Instagram Stories
Of course, you also have an archive for Instagram stories. You can easily scroll up and down the side to see the different months in which you’ve posted. It makes it really easy to dabble through all the old memories. This is actually a really good tool to see which posts performed the best, too. All the old interactions and story views will still be attached to the frame.
You are probably wondering how to unarchive Instagram stories so that they go back into your Instagram story. Thankfully this is really easy, too!
Follow these steps:
- Click the Instagram story post that you want to unarchive.
- Click the “Share” button at the bottom.
- The story will appear on a colored background. It won’t be exactly the same as it was when you posted. If you have any stickers, polls, question boxes or anything on the image, your followers will not be able to interact with them. If you want them to be interactable, then you’ll need to add a new sticker over the old one.
- You can zoom the image in and out to change the depth of it. If you zoom in, it’ll go over the colored background and look the same as it did when you posted it.
- You can also delete the date on the image by holding it and swiping it down into the garbage can.
- When you’re ready, add the post to your story. That’s how you unarchive story posts and bring it back to your feed. If you want followers to see your story posts long term, the only way to do that is to add them to a story highlight.
- The other option to make it viewable is to click the three dots on the story you want to unarchive. You can click share as post, and upload it as a normal Instagram feed post.
When you unarchive an Instagram story into your current story, it will have new views and interactions. It won’t add onto all the old views.
You can also easily share Instagram archived stories to specific people if you don’t want to bring it back to your public story. You can choose select friends or followers you want to share the post with.
Now that you’ve learned how to unarchive Instagram posts and stories, you can easily play around with where your posts live on Instagram! Remember, you can archive and unarchive feed posts as often as you like but once you delete them, they’re gone forever.