Initially, Instagram was just a photo-sharing app, but over the years, it has constantly innovated and introduced new features which makes the app consistently interesting to many users. Now you can share not only photos but also videos and Stories (which disappear after 24 hours).
What Is An Instagram Collection?
Instagram has recently rolled out an interesting new feature which you may find quite useful especially if you are the type who loves to keep memories or if you stumbled upon posts that you would like to go back to in the future either for personal or business purposes. This new feature is called Instagram Collections and as the name implies, it is a feature which allows you to keep track of posts that you want to remember.
This new Instagram feature is sort of an expansion of the “saved posts” feature. Instead of just the usual saved posts, Instagram Collections is pretty much like Pinterest boards which explains “collections” in its name.
Whether you are saving posts of recipes, book recommendations, or user-generated content, you can now save them all in one place and keep your favorite posts organized. You can think of Instagram saved collections like your personal and professional mood board!
In this article, we’ll help you become much more familiar with using Instagram Collections.
Why You Should Use Instagram Collections
Admittedly, as opposed to let us say Instagram Stories, this new feature has not received as much fanfare. But even so, Instagram Collections is actually one very useful tool. In fact, Instagram says that almost 50% of users have saved unless one photo.
Even though the feature has not received as much hype as say, Instagram Stories, it is definitely one of the more useful tools out there! There are three main reasons why you should try using Instagram Collections.
Reason #1. It’s Good For Saving Useful Content
First, if you want to archive user-generated content that you would like to look back on in the future for inspiration or just because you want to. Contents could be delicious recipes, stunning photography, or quotable quotes you may want to refer to later on.
Relating this to business, you can look for pictures and videos that are aligned with your brand image and you can use these as inspiration for visual and virtual marketing ideas for your campaigns.
Reason #2. It’s Good For Businesses (Literally)
Second, Instagram Collections help keep businesses keep an eye on competitors. If you want to take note of what your industry rivals are currently up to so you can keep up with or even surge past them, then you would find so much merit in the Instagram Collections feature.
Moreover, Instagram Collections is helpful if you want streamlined engagement with your Instagram followers. You could save brand and product mentions you get on Instagram to a collection. Having all of your mentions in one place makes it easier to monitor people who follow you, thus, you can better engage with them.
Instagram collections can help you research competitors without dipping your fingers into your marketing budget. Look for great brands or local businesses in your track and save relevant posts to a collection.
Analyzing these collections will help you stay updated with what your competitors are sharing and how they communicate with their audience. You can also see whether your Instagram posts match your competitors’ level of persuasion.
For example, you are in the cosmetics business and you are promoting a new lipstick line. One day, you notice somebody has tagged you in a photo wearing one of your lipsticks. By saving this share in a collection, you can engage with the user and look up their content at a later time. You could even use this as part of your marketing campaign.
Reason #3. It Helps You Keep Track Of Important Posts
Lastly, and perhaps more importantly, Instagram Collections can help you keep track of the posts you want to remember. We all know how Instagram is a treasure trove not only of beautiful content, but also of memorable posts that you surely would not want to disappear forever. You may want to save that beach photo a friend tagged you in or the wedding photos of your best friend, right? With Instagram Collections, saving both is now possible.
In addition, Instagram Collections is a great tool if you love taking screenshots of evrerything you want to remember, or if you constantly tag yourself in the comments section of a post in order to get the notification that reminds you to go back and view the post. It makes keeping memories and inspiring posts so much easier.
Now you know that whether you are an entrepreneur saving user-generated content, or a personal user saving unforgettable memories or even yummy recipes, Instagram collections is a great way to keep your IG content organized wherever, whenever.
Using Instagram Collections
Instagram Collections lets you create Pinterest-like collections based on posts from other users. However, unlike Pinterest only you can see your collections, unless the Instagram gods will enhance this feature in the future.
So now, how do you start?
You can see which photos you have saved by going to your profile page and clicking the bookmark icon on the far right side. All of the pictures you have selected are private. Who knows, Instagram might let users create public collections in the future so you can share yours with your followers!
Creating A New Collection
If you are thinking that creating Instagram Collections is tricky, you are mistaken! It is actually very easy, just follow these quick and easy steps:
- All you need to do is tap the “bookmark” button below a post.
- Once you have saved a post, you are directed to a private section of your profile that only you can access.
- Simply tap the “bookmark” button above your feed to access your saved posts.
- If you decide to create a new collection, just tap the “+” button in the top-right corner of your saved posts.
- Then, enter a name for your collection and select “Next.”
- Now you can tap any of your saved posts to add them to your collection.
- Lastly, finish by tapping “Done.”
Creating A Collection For A Specific Post
If you stumble upon an Instagram post that you want saved, but still do not have a collection for it, you can actually create a collection for it even when you are on the go. All you need to do is follow these three easy steps:
- Tap and hold the bookmark icon for the post that you want to save.
- On the screen that appears, type in a name for the collectionand tap Done.
- The Instagram app will then display a notification that reads “Saved to [collection’s name]” to confirm that the image was saved to your new collection.
Adding An Instagram Post To An Existing Collection
What if you want to save an Instagram post to an already existing collection? Just follow these ten easy steps:
- To save an Instagram video or photo, post to a collection you have already created, tap and hold the bookmark icon on the post.
- On the Save To screen that appears, tap the collection where you want to save the post. A notification confirms that you saved the post and where.
- If you tap (instead of tap and hold) the bookmark icon on a post, the post is still saved to a private section of your Instagram profile.
- However, you will need to take an extra step to add the post to a collection. To find the saved post, open your profile screen and tap the bookmark icon to display your saved posts. Make sure the All tab is selected.
- On this tab, tap the post you want to add to a collection. Instagram then opens the post.
- Tap and hold the post’s bookmark iconto organize it into a collection. Note that you can save posts to multiple collections.
- Alternatively, open the collection via the bookmark icon on your profile. If you tap the three dotsin the upper right corner, you can see the option to add to or edit your collection. Tap Add to Collection to see all of your saved posts that are not yet part of this collection.
- Now, select the posts you want to add to this collection and tap Done.
What if you inadvertently added a post to the wrong collection? Don’t worry, solving that is simple, too.
- Open the post in the collection. The post’s bookmark icon is black, which indicates you have already saved the post. Tap and hold the icon, and the Save To screen displays a checkbox on every collection where the post appears.
- Just tap on a checked collection to remove the post from that collection.
Using Instagram Collections for your Business
With Instagram’s massive popularity, it is but natural for companies to notice its potential for marketing. Hence, over the years, Instagram has become a potent tool for creating awareness on brands and their products. Using Instagram Collections, as mentioned earlier, can be very helpful for businesses that rely heavily on Instagram for marketing. This also explains the rise of so-called Instagram influencers. These social media superstars have huge followings and regular updates. That’s why many brands tap them to become endorsers or ambassadors of their products and services.
If you still do not know, “saved” posts are now included in your Instagram Insights metrics. Instagram’s post metrics now include likes, comments, saves, and more. But what if you want to see the number of unique accounts that saved your posts? In that case, you would need to switch to an Instagram business profile. Once you have switched, you can open your Instagram Insights by tapping the “bar graph” icon in the top right corner of your profile.
Instagram continues to innovate. And every new feature it introduces makes user experience both on the personal and business levels more efficient. Using Instagram Collections is fast and easy. Plus, organizing your saved posts can help you do competitive analysis and monitor your brand mentions and followers. Imagine being able to do all of these without spending a single cent from your marketing budget!
With Instagram Collections, users can save memories for personal reasons and user-generated content for business purposes. Using Instagram Collections enables users to archive contents that would not want to forget and would like to go back to for inspiration, nostalgia, or purely entrepreneurial reasons. Thanks to this feature, it is easier to look back on happy memories and expand your brand’s reach!
So there you have it. A quick rundown of the basics of using Instagram Collections. We hope that after reading this article, we have convinced you to use this Instagram feature! After all, it’s free and useful — and in the ever-competitive world of Instagram, it’s wise to take advantage of everything you can.