Good news, you can now Livestream on Instagram! Instagram Live is an awesome feature that can be used for lots of different things. Ultimately, it’s a great way to engage with your followers and answer questions in real-time. Perhaps you’ve already watched a Livestream on Instagram. You’ll know someone is live if they have a special ring around their profile picture.
If you see this on Instagram, click it and watch someone’s Livestream! It’ll be in real-time as they speak to people that are watching the Livestream.
How To Start Livestream On Instagram
If you’re feeling brave enough to do a Livestream on Instagram, here’s how!
- Access your Instagram stories by swiping right from your Instagram feed screen or clicking the camera icon in the top left of the screen.
- Swipe to the “live” option which is the first option. You’ll see how many of your followers are online at that moment. This gives you a good idea of how many people might watch your live!
- Tap the record button to start your Livestream.
- Before you go live, you can click the settings button to block people, filter your replies and decide whether or not you want to share your Livestream to your camera roll and/or archive.
- When your Livestream begins, you’ll see the number of people watching. Their comments will appear at the bottom. You should add your own comment and pin it so people know what the Livestream is about. Is it a review, a Q & A, a product reveal, or something else?
- You can turn comments off by clicking the three buttons at the top of the screen. If you have any keyword filters turned on with Instagram, they will be applied to your Livestream, too.
- When you’ve finished your Livestream, click “End” in the top right. You’ll have the option to save the Instagram Live to your camera roll. On the other hand, you can share it to your story where followers can watch it later in case they missed it.
If you share the live to your story, all the comments and the number of people watching will also be saved so people can see what others said during the Instagram Livestream.
It will stay in your stories for 24 hours unless you add the Livestream to your Instagram story highlights.
How To View Someone’s Livestream On Instagram
As well as recording your own Livestream, it’s fun to watch other people’s Livestreams!
It’s really easy to join a Livestream. In fact, for some accounts, you might actually get a notification that they’ve gone live. Instagram sends out random notifications. However, if you have notifications on for a certain account, you’ll surely get a notification that they’ve gone live.
Click on their Instagram story button to watch their Livestream. Remember, if they’re live, it will have that colorful ring around it.
When you’re watching, you can add comments by typing it into the comment bar. You can also leave love hearts throughout the video with one tap. This lets the person know you’re enjoying their content!
If you leave a comment or heart, everyone else who is watching will be able to see what you’ve said. Always remember to be nice.
When you join a Livestream, everyone will be able to see you’ve joined. So be careful if you start watching your ex’s Livestream! They will know. So will their new girlfriend. Yikes.
If someone shares a replay of their Instagram live into their stories later, you can watch it by clicking their Instagram story icon. Instagram will give you the option to watch their Livestream or their Instagram stories. Click live stream and watch the whole thing! You can’t add comments in real-time, obviously, but you can reply to their Livestream through a direct message if you want.
You can also fast forward and rewind through a live stream once it’s finished. If you click forwards or backward on your screen, it will jump ahead or behind about 30 seconds.
Instagram makes it super easy to watch live streams, whether it’s live or later on!
Why Do Livestream On Instagram
There are lots of reasons to go live on Instagram that hopefully outweigh the drawbacks. The drawbacks, for most people, include fear that nobody will watch it, or that it will be awkward.
The first few times you go live, it might be awkward, which is why it’s a good idea to have a game plan! You should also make sure that Instagram Live is the right option for you over recording an IGTV or just a few Instagram stories.
However, there are lots of reasons to go live on Instagram.
- Business or marketing. If you use Instagram to promote and run your business, doing a Livestream on Instagram is an awesome idea. You can use it for revealing new products or showing how a new product works. On the other hand, you could do behind the scenes videos. Maybe you’ll show your studio!
- Q & A. If you have a lot of followers, doing a Livestream in the evenings while most of your followers are online is a good idea to answer some of their questions. Of course, if you get a lot of DMs, you won’t be able to reply to them all, so doing a Livestream once in a while is a good idea to answer your audience’s questions.
- Discuss something. If you talk a lot about a particular topic on Instagram, such as mental health, then doing a Livestream to discuss it in more depth is an awesome idea.
- Engage with your audience. If nothing else, it’s a great way to interact with your audience. In fact, a lot of articles about gaining followers and increasing engagement recommends going live often to keep up appearances with your followers!
Of course, the reasons you go live will differ depending on what kind of account you have. If you share recipes, do a Livestream while cooking. If you talk about books, have a book club over Instagram live. Perhaps you have an account all about plants. Use Instagram live to share some tips about taking care of your plants! Instagram Lives work best when it’s a unique idea. If you get a new puppy, you could do a Q & A with my puppy video! There are so many ideas.
Do’s And Don’ts Of Livestreams On Instagram
Of course, there are lots of do’s and don’ts when it comes to Instagram live. We’ll discuss them below.
Let’s start with the don’ts so we can end on a positive.
- Don’t sit there quietly when you start a Livestream on Instagram. You are leading the whole experience so don’t be negative, boring or quiet.
- Don’t neglect sound quality or internet connection. You’ll notice your numbers rapidly drop if you aren’t prepared for your Instagram live. Make sure you are sitting close to a wi-fi point and that you have the microphone uncovered so it can pick up your sound well.
- Don’t expect perfection. The first few times you do a live video, it won’t go 100% to plan. Lower your expectations and just have fun in the beginning, as well as being professional!
- Don’t do anything graphic. Instagram Live is often taken advantage of because you can get away with a few minutes of doing anything before someone might report it to Instagram. Make sure you’re being family-friendly on Instagram Live.
Now that we’ve covered the basic things of what not to do, here are the main tips when going live on Instagram.
- Do have a game plan. It’s important to have a plan before you open up your Instagram live. Don’t go in there blind without any idea of what to do. Know your purpose when doing a Livestream on Instagram. Ask yourself what you’re going to talk about and stick to that.
- Do write out some ideas. Once you’ve got your idea, have a notepad nearby with some talking prompts. For example, if you’re going on Instagram live to talk about your new bedroom decor, have a list of things you can talk about when things get quiet. For example, talk about where you got the furniture, who decorated the room, how it makes you feel, and any tips you have for someone who is going to redecorate soon.
- Do test your camera and sound quality before you go live. Take an Instagram story video beforehand and check the quality is good. If you’re somewhere new, or in public, you want to make sure the background noise is kept to a minimum.
- Do consider collaborating. You can easily add other people to your Instagram Livestreams. Perhaps for the first few times, you’re nervous to go live alone. Team up with a buddy and discuss something with them!
- Do greet your followers by name. When someone joins the Livestream, read their username to see if their name is in the title. Say hello to them by name! This will keep them watching longer because they will feel obligated to stick around to support you.
- Do let your followers know you’re going live in advance. For a few days prior, remind your followers that you are going live on Instagram at 8.p.m on Friday. You can even share a countdown sticker so they can get reminded when the Livestream starts. Creating hype around the live will get more people excited about it. They might even schedule watching the Livestream into their evening, especially if they know what you’re going to talk about.
- Do use Instagram live to make a big announcement. Tease that you have a big announcement a few days before going live. Using Instagram Live for this brings more people together and creates an awesome sense of community!
- Do provide tutorials on Instagram live. This is the perfect time to show a tutorial, especially if you save it to your story highlights later on. Start with something super easy, like making the perfect cup of tea.
- Do select the right person to go live. Perhaps you’re a company with lots of employees and you want to do an Instagram live to promote a new product or do a behind the scenes video. Make sure you choose someone who is charismatic and confident in live videos.
- Do provide a call to action. The last tip is to get your followers to do something afterward, such as checking out your other videos or a different site altogether. Tell them to message you with their thoughts afterward. Even better, invite them to your next Instagram live and give a date!
Now that you know all the best tips for Livestreams on Instagram, it’s time to start your own live stream. Just make sure you schedule it in and let your followers know in advance so they can make time for you.