Now a one billion-strong application, Instagram under normal circumstances, works seamlessly and without a hitch. You could spend hours upon hours on the app scrolling through a seemingly endless feed without encountering a glitch. However, as in all applications, you are bound to encounter a problem at one point (but we are hoping that you would not).
So, how do you contact Instagram for help with your account? Or if another account is causing you trouble, how do you report that account? We have compiled the most common questions asked when trying to contact Instagram to report problems. We hope that you find this article useful!
Instagram Help: How To Contact Support And Get Prompt Assistance
This 2019, Instagram has broken through the one billion mark. Assuming the number were exactly one billion active users, and that every user had to contact Instagram for help once per year, that would still mean 2,739,726 inquiries per day. Needless to say, that is a LOT.
So do not be disappointed if Instagram does not have a customer support team ready to provide users with human-aided support should they encounter problems with their accounts. It is quite unfortunate that there is no way to directly contact Instagram.
Before you get the wrong impression: No, that doesn’t mean Instagram isn’t willing to help you solve your problems. What that means, though, is that there is no way you can directly call, text, or email the company. Likewise, you cannot speak to an employee or affiliate of Instagram.
Sure, Instagram has a direct phone number and email — their contact phone number is (650) 543-4800, and their contact email is email@example.com — but it is highly unlikely that you will get a response from a human being through these channels.
Don’t Worry, Help Is Still On The Way
Fret not users! You can use Instagram’s Help Center to diagnose and/ or report a problem. To be fair, Instagram’s help center is helpful, detailed and can answer most questions. It is also designed in such a way that it is easy for you to report issues with content you see on the site.
However, keep in mind that Instagram has a staggering number of users. It might take some time for you to get a response if you contact them through email, unless you are reporting a concern of huge magnitude or a security breach. Also, you are probably more likely to receive faster support if you are a verified user of Instagram.
At the very least, Instagram’s Help functions are available for both iPhone and Android apps, as well as through the desktop website.
How To Get Instagram Support Via The Smartphone App
These are the quick steps on how you can get help with your account through the Instagram app:
- Open the Instagram app and then tap the person icon in the bottom-right corner.
- Tap the three parallel bars in the top-right corner.
- Then, tap “Settings” (the gear icon) at the bottom of the menu.
- Afterwards, tap “Help” (the question mark icon) on the next screen.
- Select “Help Center,” and from there you can browse by topic, narrowing in on your specific concern
How To Access Instagram Help On A Desktop Computer
You can still access Instagram Help if you are more comfortable using Instagram on your desktop computer. You can pretty much navigate through most of the same steps as above on your Instagram account on a desktop computer, but the quicket way to the help center is by keying in https://help.instagram.com into your navigation bar.
From there, you can search for the answer to your concern/ issue.
How To Report An Instagram Issue And Get Help
There are instances when your account is not the one causing you problems, but other users’. Let us say you see a post that you think violates Instagram’s rules. It could be spam or it can be a post that has inappopriate or malicious content. If this is the case, just tap the three little dots at the top right of the post, tap “Report,” and then select the reason why you are reporting said post.
You can also report issues through the Help Center. The best way to get active support from Instagram is to report a specific issue. Make sure you have a strong and legitimate grievance before going through the following steps:
- Go to the Help Center as previously outlined.
- Click “Privacy and Safety Center” on the left-hand menu.
- Click “Report Something” on the left-hand menu.
- Select the type of issue, then follow the steps from this point on to report the issue.
How To Contact Instagram And Submit A Support Ticket
To submit a support ticket on Instagram follow these steps:
- Go to help.instagram.com
- On the left-hand side, click “Privacy and Safety Center”
- Click “Report Something”
- Select the type of issue you are experiencing
- Look for a link that says report it
- Fill out the form and hit send
You can also do this (albeit with lesser options) directly on the Instagram mobile app. The steps there are:
- Go to your “Profile”
- Tap “Settings” at the top right
- Scroll down to “Support > Report a Problem”
- Follow the instructions
Instagram is a very vibrant and versatile social media platform. There is so much you can do. You can share photos, videos, and Instagram Stories (which has become a mammoth hit, almost completely decimating rival Snapchat). Because of Instagram’s highly entertaining quality, it has attracted legions upon legions of users from all walks of life. The astounding number of users, however, also means that there is a long list of possible issues that may arise from technical concerns to irresponsible users to something as grave as human trafficking and self-harm.
The Different Types Of Issues You Can Report To Instagram
These are the following issues and concerns you could seek Instagram Help for:
- Hacked Accounts – Select this option if you think that your account has been hacked. A hacked account should be reported as soon as possible as it may compromise personal information and access to personal photos and direct messages.
- Impersonation Accounts – Select this option if you have evidence of an account impersonating or posing as you. It may be an account using your personal photos and information. These accounts may be used to fool followers into donating money and other similar scams.
- Underage Users – Click this option if you stumbled upon an account belonging to someone under the age of 13. Do note that Instagram requires everyone to be at least 13 years old before they can create an account (in some jurisdictions, the age limit may be higher).
- Hate Accounts – Click this option to report a hate-speech account. Hate speech includes racial slurs; language discriminating against gender, religion, nationality; profanity and similar other inappropriate use of language.
- Exposed Private Information – Select this option if you encounter someone posting a user’s private information (e.g., home address, mobile number, email address).
- Self-Injury – Click this option to report posts in which another user is clearly harming themselves (or others).
- Abuse & Spam – Click this option to report abuse, spam, or harassment.
- Exploitation – Select this option to view resources regarding reporting human trafficking.
- Other – Click this option if your reason for contacting Instagram is not part of the list.
Why Isn’t Instagram Responding?
So you’ve done what you could. You’ve sent a message and gone through the appropriate channels. Hours pass, then days. Then, you start to wonder: Did Instagram really get my call for help? And if so, then why isn’t anyone helping me yet?
There are two possible answers to this. First, Instagram probably does not consider your concern as high priority. Second–and this might sting quite a bit–you are just one of a billion active users on Instagram.
Chances are, there are hundreds, even thousands, of other users who are also trying to contact Instagram regarding their account-related concerns at the same time as you are. It is a mammoth responsibility to cater to every user’s request even for a company that is as big as Instagram, so do not expect lightning quick responsiveness from them. Sad, but true (and realistic).
Some Useful Alternatives to Instagram Help
As already mentioned, Instagram is teeming with active users. Because of the sheer number of users, Instagram’s customer service is not as responsive as you would want it to be, and it is highly likely that you would not be assisted by a customer service representative.
So if you do not want to just sit back and wait for the Instagram gods to respond to your queries or address your concerns, you may want to look elsewhere for answers.
You could start with Instagram’s Help Portal at help.instagram.com. You can type your question at the top and see if there is any answer to your concerns. This portal is actually quite helpful. There is a good chance you would find answers to your concerns here.
You could also try messaging Instagram’s Facebook page or Twitter account. Reddit and Quora are also very helpful sites. Just post your questions and most likely, users would come and try to help you out and they are usually armed with technical or practical knowledge. These sites also have a rich archive of questions and answers. There is a possibility that your concern has already been raised and answered before, all you need is scour the sites and hope you find something useful.
How To Contact Instagram Via The Facebook Ads Account Manager
If you are spending a considerable amount of money on FB/IG ads, you will be assigned a Facebook Ad Account Manager. You can try submitting your question/concern through them.
Since it is in Facebook’s best interest to keep you happy (because being happy means you would be more willing to spend more money), they will probably get back to you quickly.
Quick Answers To Commonly Asked Questions
What is the Instagram customer support number?
It is 650-543-4800. (Again, you would be directed to an automated response, no human beings here, my dear friend.)
How do you get verified on Instagram?
Want to get that nice, fancy checkmark that most celebrities have on their Instagram handles? Or perhaps, you’re running a business, and you just want to prevent copycats. Well, you can apply for Instagram verification inside the app.
How long does it take to hear back from Instagram support?
While Instagram does try to address all queries and issues promptly, consider the sheer number of users contacting them daily. It’s realistic to expect that it will take them about one week to respond to you. Beyond that, feel free to contact them again.
How to report a bug/technical issue to Instagram?
You can do it through the mobile app.
- Go to your profile and tap “Settings”.
- Tap “Help > Report a Problem”, then follow the on-screen instructions
Make sure to include as much detail about the problem as possible in your report. Information like the kind of phone or tablet you were using, the device’s version, and what you were doing when the problem occurred can help IG better understand the bug.
To Sum It All Up: Instagram Help In A Nutshell
As with all major companies, Instagram has a phone number and support email address, so it is technically possible to contact Instagram, but it is not very likely that you will get a human response. The Instagram Help Center can be accessed via the iPhone and Android apps, or through the desktop website, and has answers to most questions a user will have.
Always remember that you can report specific issues, such as a potential copyright violation, a hacked account, or inappropritae content through Instagram’s reporting feature, which is more likely to earn a response. Alternatively, you can scour the Internet for answers if you are not too willing to wait for Instagram to get back to you.